DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Id value the opinion of a doctor with some additional

Id value the opinion of a doctor with some additional understanding of natural products/supplements
Im a 48 year male, in reasonably good health but do take a statin, beta blocker and high bp medication at low doses which controls my high"ish"blood pressure
I have recently started taking natural supplements and find they do help me feel healthier. I am taking a lot of supplements which I have listed below. They are all herbs, etc but I would value a doctors opinion as to whether you would consider it dangerous to take this many together even though they are all natural and indivisually are all very well regarded ? I have researched each one and they do not interact with my medications other than some also lower blood pressure but am I overdoing it taking so many or can have a got the right idea about this "cocktail" being good for me ?
I take the following:
Black garlic tablets 2000mg
Red krill Oil 1000mg
Astaxanthin 12mg
Cyruta Plus (natural vit c)
Ubliquinol CO10
tumeric powder
A supplement for my heart containing Potassium and Magnesium
1000mg Beetroot extract
And I make a green smoothie everyday containing - spinach, kale, apple and I add
------
2 teaspoons of black cumin oil
2 teaspoons of grapeseed oil
Some natural cinnamon
a few drops of Astragalus
Manuka Honey
Olive Leaf Extract
Sage leaf
----
I also drink a cup of Rio Amz Pau d'Arco Tea and love spice so add chillies to everything
I never exceed the individual dose of any one opf the above supplements and I believe that each one does different things, though a few of them will of course lower blood pressure etc etc
I'd appreciate any opinions
Many Thanks
Mark
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

I am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed.

there is no way to predict how these interact with your medicines

However, some statements can be made.

Garlic, krill oil and tumeric all thin the blood. You should not take them daily together.

Alternated days.

Atacanthin is an isolated caratenoid. Not a good idea. Take mixed caratenoids. This is imblanaced the way you are going it.

Nothing particularly interacts with your meds but that is not a tested area, so make sure your doctor knows what you are doing.

There is absolutely NO WAY to say how this many herbs and vitamins will shake out in terms of how it adds to a blood pressure lowering effect...so that needs monitoring.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doc, Brilliant, yes what you say makes sense! Ok, I'll cut out the Atacanthin, and alternate the garlic, krill and tumeric.Though I only take low doses, I'll keep an eye on my BP.
So the honey, oils etc in my daily smoothies shouldnt be an issue?
Just out of interest, do you think what Im doing is a little crazy or do you take any herbs/supplements yourself? Im not asking for an endorsement or advice either way because I understand that I cannot expect that from you, and answer only if you feel comfortable
Thank You for your time Doc
Kind Regards
Mark