wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I have booked to have Ultherapy to tighten the skin around

I have booked to have Ultherapy to tighten the skin around my neck area. (Ultherapy is a nonsurgical way to lift, tone and tighten your skin using ultrasound technology).
I have cervical dystonia and have three monthly botox injections into my neck muscles for muscle spasms.
My question is - is it safe to have the Ultherapy with my condition and treatment. The worst thing would be if it stopped the botox from working or interfered with it in any way.
Jackie Gabb
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Yes. It should be safe to have Ultratherapy with your cervical dystonia.

Of course, to be 100% sure, you should consult with your physician who is actively treating you.

It will not stop the botox from working.......promise ;)

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Can you tell me the medical reason why it would not interfere with the botox?

My simple (non-medical) way of looking at it is that the ultrasound would not go deep enough as it is a skin treatment and non invasive. Whereas the botox goes deep into the muscle so would be quite a distant away from the ultrasound?

Is that correct?

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

Because the botox attaches to, and destroys, the receptors for ACH on your muscles. The only way the muscles start to work again is to grow new receptors.

The ultrasound can not change this chemical/biological interaction.

Make sense?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

It has nothing to do with how deep the ultrasound goes ;)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. One last thing what is ACH?

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

The abbreviation for the neurotransmitter that your body uses to make your muscles move:

Acetylcholine.

Here is a very good article you might find interesting.

https://www.smartdrugsforthought.com/acetylcholine/

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS