DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Several months ago, my clinic/doctors increased my

Hi. Several months ago, my clinic/doctors increased my levothyroxine from 100 mcg to 125 mcg, but I was wary about taking it (I am not sure of my levels) Eventually I did, but only for 2 days, because I felt it was too much. This was 17 days ago, and I was wondering if the extra 50 mcg I took back then is still in my system. I had an ECG, and my heart was declared normal. Blood pressure also, normal. However, I feel stressed, although it should be added I drink three mugs of strong coffee daily, and am a sufferer from Generalised Anxiety Disorder, as well as insomnia and depression. Is there the danger I have too much thryoxine in my system? Is it still in my system? I ask because I'm 60, and am not sure if 125 mcg isn't too much for me. Although I've gone back down to 100 mcg, since 17 days ago.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello]

It is not too much as long as your TSH is above .5 and you don't have symptoms.

I suspect your tsh is too high.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi doctor, my TSH is 0.73, I believe.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

That is fine.

Your dose is not too high.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you doctor, Which is the best dose, 100 mcg or 125 mcg daily? I am much happier on 100 mcg daily, even though it may a little low.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

There is no best dose.

It is how you feel within the normal dosing range, which for treated patients is between .3 and 1.0 most often.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well for me, it's definitely 100 mcg, even though it seems my TSH levels are pretty high at 0.73. I'll stay put at 100 mcg. Thanks for your help!

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Those are not high really.

Some people even go up to 1.5 and don't feel hypothyroid.

If you stay put, your doctor needs to know.

, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Dr Thomas. I just found out today that if TSH levels fall below 0.2, there is danger of excess dose, hyperthyroidism, even medical problems. I was wondering if there was a risk my levels went down to 0.2 when I took the two 125 mcg doses of levothyroxine 3 weeks ago. My TSH is 0.73 now. Could I still be 'feeling' the greater dosage now?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

No

This would not be harmful termporarily./

Your TSH is perfect.

Please see my premium services offer for new questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So it wouldn't have caused my TSH levels to plummet below 2.0?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

No.

If that happened, your body would give you plenty of warning before you sustained harm.

Please accept the premium services offer or find me on a new post for new questions.

good luck.