Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I've been suffering from the feeling of heaviness in my

I've been suffering from the feeling of heaviness in my chest and excess mucus for a few months now and realised it might have been because I've been staying in a little wooden log cabin since arriving in Cornwall belonging to a family member. It was only meant to be a temporary measure, whilst I sorted out a more permanent home, but I ended up staying for longer than I'd expected (about 8 months in total) including across winter when it was raining almost every day. I found the cabin had been letting water in near the bed area, and even though this has been fixed (the wood had rotted where the water had been getting in and needed to be replaced), there often seems to be a stuffy odour no matter how much the place is aired. I also did stay in a house I renovated prior to moving here and there was a lot of dust there for a few months. I'm not sure what's caused this respiratory problem I now have, but as I didn't have it when I was in the house being renovated, I assume it's because of the little log cabin. I'd like to know what I can do about it to rectify this problem (other than moving of course), if it's likely to be permanent, and if there is a particular doctor I should try to see about it?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this question

can you run a dehumidifier in there?

to cut back on the moisture?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've actually already done that with an industrial strength dehumidifier. I'm more concerned about the effect on my health already and what I can do about it and whether it could be permanent. I've had it now for several months.

No, this will not be permanent.

it is just related to the environment

but it won't damage you forever.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** is contrary to what I've read online. People are suing their landlords about it! Also I did think that as the place is kept impeccably clean, the constant stuffy odour suggests that perhaps there is bacteria (mould spores) that I can't see. Could this be an ongoing danger?

It will affect you as long as you live there.

but it won't once you leave

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way I can check if it could be caused by something else? We have heart issues in our family and whilst I expect it's due to the dampness etc of the log cabin, I realise it could well be another issue. I wondered what sort of testing the local doctor could do here to ascertain for sure what is causing this issue?

You could get some blood work.

that would be a reasonable start

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you. I'll visit the local GP and ask if they could arrange for this to happen.

welcome :)

please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it