Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My feet feel like they're burning. my calves and thighs ache

my feet feel like they're burning. my calves and thighs ache when I walk. I stagger and look as if I'm drunk when I walk. I suspect I have anachroiditis due to my aneasthetic when I had my right knee replaced several years ago. My symptoms started about five or six years ago and are now getting rapidly worse. I have type 2 diabetes and my GP suggests I have nerve damage as a result. Something tells me it's a bit more than this however.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

feet feeling like they are burning is a sign of peripheral nerve diabetic neuropathy damage to nerves in your feet.

these nerves are suppose to send signals to your brain about your body's position and help with muscle contraction and motion.

when the nerves are not working properly, you can stagger and stumble.

have you tried diabetic nerve medications like gabapentin (Neurotin) or pregabalin (Lyrica) in higher doses to see if they help?

Elavil or carbamezapine could work as well.

an MRI scan of your spine and brain with contrast would be able to see arachnoiditis inflammation of the arachnoid layer of the brain and spinal cord.

have you had an MRI scan of your brain and total spine with IV contrast?