Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I had a PE in February 2013 and was eventually sighed off by

Customer Question

I had a PE in February 2013 and was eventually sighed off by my consultant in May 2014.
I am 64 and generally have good health. I keep fit and go to the gym 5 days a week
However, on occasions, I still get breathless. This is not from the gym but from doing something very easy like walking up some stairs
We are thinking about visiting the Canadian Rockies next year.
The altitude in some of the places we would wish to visit is 5200 feet.
Are you able to advise me whether I have an increased likelihood of problematic breathing difficulties?
John McNicol
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I’d be happy to assist you.

As the altitude increases, barometric pressure decreases. This decrease in barometric pressure affects the partial pressure of alveolar oxygen.

As you still have breathlessness even with walking stairs so it can increase your risk to have problematic breathing difficulties.

I understand your wish to go there.

A repeat chest X-ray,complete pulmonary function test,EKG,Echocardiography should be done before your travel.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Please to not forget a positive rating and avoid poor/bad rating.

Waiting for your response.

May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.