Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I have recently had the ceiling removed in my bedroom. Since

Hi. I have recently had the ceiling removed in my bedroom. Since then I have woken up at night with bad to severe breathing problems. I am concerned that the glass fibre loft insulation which is protruding through the ceiling in large areas where it was removed may be the cause of this. Can you help?
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

You can try steam inhalation.

OTC Anti allergic medication like cetirizine can be helpful.

Still if you have wheezing or asthma like symptoms you may have to visit your doctor for prescription of inhalers etc to control the symptoms.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thank you for getting back to me. My question was more is it possible for something like glass fibre insulation to be the cause of this problem - which is severe and has only occurred since the ceiling was taken down (it is not dust as that has completely settled and been cleared away). Also, if it could be the glass fibre are there any long term implications?

Breathing problems you describe are classical sign of allergy.

If their was dust previously chances are that it cause some inflammation in respiratory tract and symptoms are taking time to heal.

And yes glass fibre insulation can also be the cause of respiratory allergy.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not dust. I was not in the house while the clear up took place and for a week following the clear up. I am concerned if it is the glass fibre if there any long term implications I need to worry about.

Usually allergy subside when the exposure to allergen is stopped.

If the glass fibre insulation is causing respiratory allergy medications can stop symptoms in short term.

But long term exposure can cause inflammation of respiratory tract and patient develop allergic bronchitis.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you. That helps. I was worried it may be carcinogenic.