How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Anil Kumar Your Own Question
Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 9513
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Anil Kumar is online now

I have recently had the ceiling removed in my bedroom. Since

Resolved Question:

Hi. I have recently had the ceiling removed in my bedroom. Since then I have woken up at night with bad to severe breathing problems. I am concerned that the glass fibre loft insulation which is protruding through the ceiling in large areas where it was removed may be the cause of this. Can you help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

You can try steam inhalation.

OTC Anti allergic medication like cetirizine can be helpful.

Still if you have wheezing or asthma like symptoms you may have to visit your doctor for prescription of inhalers etc to control the symptoms.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thank you for getting back to me. My question was more is it possible for something like glass fibre insulation to be the cause of this problem - which is severe and has only occurred since the ceiling was taken down (it is not dust as that has completely settled and been cleared away). Also, if it could be the glass fibre are there any long term implications?
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

Breathing problems you describe are classical sign of allergy.

If their was dust previously chances are that it cause some inflammation in respiratory tract and symptoms are taking time to heal.

And yes glass fibre insulation can also be the cause of respiratory allergy.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not dust. I was not in the house while the clear up took place and for a week following the clear up. I am concerned if it is the glass fibre if there any long term implications I need to worry about.
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

Usually allergy subside when the exposure to allergen is stopped.

If the glass fibre insulation is causing respiratory allergy medications can stop symptoms in short term.

But long term exposure can cause inflammation of respiratory tract and patient develop allergic bronchitis.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you. That helps. I was worried it may be carcinogenic.
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Dr Anil Kumar and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you