Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

Started microgynon 30 pills 2 days a go. Had not taken them

Customer Question

Started microgynon 30 pills 2 days a go. Had not taken them for 7 years after having children .I get bit if nausea and feel not so hungry which I assume are side effects . But last night whilst sleeping I was feeling a lot of nausea and got up to throw up,.howver bits of light red blood was thrown up only . Is this a side effect ?
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question.

Hematemesis that is blood in vomit is not a side effect of microgynon.

One possible cause can be tear in mucosa at junction of stomach and food pipe if the vomiting was violent though it is more common in men above 60 years and in people who have food disorders or are alcoholic.

You should also look out for melena that is black stools as that can indicate bleeding in gastro intestinal tract.

If you vomit any blood again or if you get melena it would be wise to visit your doctor or urgent care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
This happened first time and only after I took the mycrogynon it started with nausea and then as I went to throw up I saw red stuff coming out
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.

It may be due to a small tear in mucosa if retching was severe.Most such incidents would be self limiting and would be better without any treatment.

If it recurs or if you get melena, visit urgent care to get evaluated and treated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks . Does mycrogynon need to
Be taken with food ?
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.

Not necessarily.You may take it with or without food.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok and do I need to take on first day of period ? I took it Sunday but I had finished my periods a week ago
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.

For what purpose are you taking microgynon?

Is it to delay period or for contraception?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's for contraception
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.

You should have started on the first day of period that is the first day of bleeding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
So shall
I stop it and take it then ?
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.

No, I did not mean that.

You should continue taking the pill and use another method of protection until you have finished one complete cycle of 28 days to be completely safe.