DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Would you be able to give me some advice. I saw an out of

Hi, would you be able to give me some advice.
I saw an out of hours GP at 1.30 this morning for dreadful pain in my right ear. I was told it was an infection that there was a lot of inflimation, my eardrum however was fine.
I was given antibiotics Clarithromycin 500 mg and Co-Codamol 500 mg. I have taken three of the antibitoics and the pain killers and the pain getting worse and I have no hearing in the right ear now either. I can't lean on or put any pressure near my ear or again it just makes the pain even worse.
I can't open my mouth wide enough to clean my teeth or chew and the pain could drop me to my knees. Do I need to go back to the Dr or is this just something I need to put up with till the infection clears, am I just being dramatic! Sorry I'm not used to being ill.
Lucy
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Go to A&E right now.

You need a wide spectrum antibiotic.

You need a powerful anti inflammatory, such as prednisone.

This can result in hearing loss in some cases, and maximal treatment is needed.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Do you not think the anitbiotics that have been perscribed are correct?
Do you have any idea what this could be. I am normally totally fit and healthy and have no other symtoms apart from the pain.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

It is OK, but you do not have the strong anti inflammatory on board.

I think it is infection.

I think you have sub par treatment given the hearing loss, which has gotten worse.

This is potentially serious and needs reconsideration.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here