Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Approximately seven years ago I was working in a very

Approximately seven years ago I was working in a very stressful environment (both managers were real bullies - they bullied everyone in the company!) and my doctor put me on Amlodipine because, during a routine blood pressure check (I'm on HRT), my blood pressure was high. He thought my work environment may be to blame. I left the job at the end of 2009 but I've taken one tablet daily since, however, I've noticed that often when I bend my head - often just looking down or bending to stroke my neighbour's dogs etc., that the blood seems to rush to my head and, of course, I get giddy. A friend suggested perhaps I should check if I should come off the Amlodipine; would you agree with this? (I don't know if it's relevant, but strokes 'run' in my family). Your advice would be much appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

I feel that you need to monitor your blood pressure frequently and keep a log of your daily blood pressure. Then your doctor has to decide whether you need blood pressure lowering medication. If required then your doctor may replace amlodipine with another type of blood pressure medication which does not have this adverse effect of flushing. Also if no blood pressure reducing medication is required then your doctor will advice you to discontinue the medication.

Take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your advice - it's much appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the positive rating.

Take care.