Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have suffered from lumbarback pain and severe pain ans

Customer Question

hi i have suffered from lumbarback pain and severe pain ans weakness in both legs from hips downwards for over 10 years. ive had steroid injections in back 3 times and a bilateral denervation. nothing has worked. i have very many symptoms which include muscle spasms and numb parts in my legs and as if insects are crawling on lower legs on and off. i feel ive been misddiagnosed and that its prrobably been MS or similar? what can i do please now losing my ability to walk due to leg pain and weakness in calves and severe lumbar pain. bowel sometimes different. ?? advice please im 70
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this question

This sounds like spinal stenosis

have you had an MRI?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ive had MRI's over the yearss and i do have a spinal stenosis

This is just worsening of the stenosis.

you need surgery on it right away

that would be the treated of choice

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have been told i would not be a good person for surgery. ihave IHD 6 stents all doing well. I had a brain tumour removed in 1998 successfully.

That is the only treatment that is going to help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my GP is unhelpful. theyre sending me to rheumatologist/pain clinic/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what specialist should i ask to see im getting really low and my walking is making me lean forwRds i need a rollatorr to walk but now pain os so bad im going to use a mobility scooter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please answer my query as to who i should see re this and what i should do i cant have surgery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should i demand another MRI Scan?

I would see a physiatrist for this

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is a physiatrist? never heard of (im an ex ITU nurse?!

are you in the UK?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im in the U.K. My gp just telephoned. She says i should agree to see the Rheumatologist but after that thats all they can do for me. I cant have surgery. Many discs involved and cauda equina. I feel really upset. when i said will i be in a wheelchair eventually she couldnt give me a prognosis. But no surgery due to my ongoing heart disease. oh dear

I don't see why you can't have surgery. It is just heart disease.

many people with heart disease have surgery

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its not Just heart disease. I have been told reiterated this afternoon despite having heart disease, and CHD (1 heart attack 5 Angioplasties) 1peripheal stent. Surgery will not Help me. i have had 5 separate discs x 10 steroid injections every year. There are no alternatives the prognosis isnt good. Seeing the rheumatologist is my last call to confirm prognosis. Im sorry but im not happy with your immediate "only surgery " will help. the point of disc trouble cannot be put right by surgery and would carry more risks than any cure. Please do not charge me. thank you. Its not been of Any help to me! please do not open any account for me or if you have Close it immediately. Thank You.

you can still have surgery