DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

What are tests?

Customer Question

What are tests for Lupus?
Expert:  DR. EHTISHAM replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for asking

There is no single definitive test but usually if the complete blood counts,complement levels,ESR and CRP indicate possibility of Lupus then one should have an Anti-nuclear antibodies,Anti-double stranded DNA and Extractable nuclear antigens. The sensitivities of these antibodies are different but these are the usual tests. If diagnosed then urine should be screened for hematuria,proteinuria or cellular casts to rule out kidney involvement.

Good luck

Feel free to ask if you have any more question

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
these are the tests Anti-nuclear antibodies,Anti-double stranded DNA and Extractable nuclear antigens.

yes these antibodies are required when suspecting lupus

Good luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
these tests are blood tests?

Yes these are blood tests

Good luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are these normal regular blood tests or specific ones for Lupus only?

Anti nuclear antibodies is not a specific test and can be positive in many other conditions

Anti-double stranded DNA and Anti-Smith (done as part of extractable nuclear antigens) is quite specific for lupus. There are other antibodies which have variable sensitivity and specificity for lupus done as extractable nuclear antigens

Good luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are any of the Lupus tests used for Multiple sclerosis or Rheumatoid Arthritis tests?

Anti nuclear antibodies can be positive in RA and Multiple Sclerosis

Good luck

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
What about the Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) test. NHS website says that's one of the tests for Lupus. Also it says Complement level test is another test.
Expert:  DR. EHTISHAM replied 12 months ago.

ESR is usually raised in lupus but it is non-specific test. Complement levels are usually low in active lupus and is used to monitor disease activity rather than diagnosing it.

Good luck