wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

With a ferritin of 8 is a colonoscopy and endiscopy

With a ferritin of 8 is a colonoscopy and endiscopy warranted ? Aged 66
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 8 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

What are your complete lab results?

Do you have any symptoms?

any blood in your feces?

How old are you?
M/F?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi aged 67. Ferritin 8 and hemaglobin 10.6. Other bloods see ok apart from
High platlet count which is a problem since 2009. Not noticed any blood on stool but could be hidden right ?I'm
Worried re bowel or stomach cancer .
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Femail
And take meds
For high bp
And asprin also .but bp seems
To be in control with meds
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 8 months ago.

I would not rush to think you have bowel or stomach cancer.

All that can be said right now is that you could have iron deficiency anemia.

Your history, physical exam and complete blood work will help your MD decide if scoping you is indicated.

Make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thx a lot . Why would u think ferritin be so low ?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 8 months ago.

There can be many reasons....you could be having some chronic bleeding, not enough iron in your diet etc.

The good news? You MD will be able to figure it out.

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The diet has not really changed . I don't know if this may tell u more . Hemaglobin 2013 was 11.5. Now 2016 10.6. But first time ferritin tested and was 8
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 8 months ago.

.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 8 months ago.

You could use a good workup looking for some source of chronic bleeding.

I'm sure your MD can figure this out.... this is not something to ignore.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is this called
Mycrocytic anemia?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 8 months ago.

That is a specific type of anemia and you would need more lab data than you have provided to diagnose that condition.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok thx . If was internal bleeding would stools be dark ?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 8 months ago.

Depends on where the bleeding was located.

it is time to rate this thread.....

wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience: Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City