Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I'm a little concerned, recently I've been having

Hi! I'm a little concerned, recently I've been having twitches/spasms frequently on the left side of my body. It seems to happen more often when I move. I'm not sure if it is serious or not. Could you advise me on what my next move should be?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi Lauren. Are you in good health otherwise? Are you on any medications?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm currently on venlafaxine. Otherwise from what I know I'm in good health.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

You're likely having fasciculations. These are involuntary, rapid contractions of muscle fibers that come and go. They are common in otherwise healthy individuals and are not normally cause for concern. They are most often associated with anxiety, stress, poor sleep, excess caffeine consumption and other "lifestyle" issues that can be addresed. Once these issues are addressed, the fascics improve.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's good to know, is there a way to reduce them without having to take other medication to reduce stress or improve sleep?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Yes, eating a balanced diet (i.e. avoid junk food and caffeine) and exercising regularly. Individuals with benign fasciculation syndrome often take yoga/meditation or mindfulness classes as well to manage stress withouth medications. These things often improve sleep as well, which helps tremendously. If these measures don't cause the fascics to go away, see your GP and have some basic blood tests done to rule out an electrolyte imbalance or thyroid issues, etc, which might be contributing to the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright, I'll try the meditation and yoga. Thank you for the help!
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Hope all goes well for you.