wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

On 100 levo thyroxine with no relief and bloods show

Customer Question

Hi. On 100 levo thyroxine with no relief and bloods show antibodies off the scale. Waiting to see NHS endo but only in October. Would it be dangerous for me to add cytomel to my levo?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tsh was 30 when diagnosed in December. Started on 50 levo thyroxine and increased to 100. Tsh now 0.6 but antibodies over 600. I know that NHS are not keen on NDT or cytomel but I have to try something.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anybody?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Yes. It would be a very bad idea for you, on your own, to add cytomel to your treatment regiment.

This medication should only be used under a physicians direct orders and supervision.

I suggest you work closely with your NHS endocrinologist or private MD.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My GP cannot help me anymore and endo only available in October. Privately available in September for a cool £300. Angry and frustrated beyond as while I wait my body is destroying my thyroid. Never mind that I feel so much worse on meds - yes the staple that is levo than before I was diagnosed. Why is it that cytomel is available over the counter in Europe - can get it online, but such a no no here? I am prepared to pay for it myself but just need a bit of guidance.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

What you are considering doing -- using over the counter cytomel on your own-- is very dangerous.

You are messing with a very important and powerful part of your endocrine system.......

I strongly suggest you not go down this path.

I'm sorry that the NHS is putting these roadblocks in your path. Here in the USA you could see an endocrinologist right away......different country. Different health system.

I wish things were different.

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Could you possibly recommend anything natural to assist me? Thank you
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 12 months ago.

Unfortunately, no matter what The Evil Dr. Google might tell you, there are no natural alternatives available that have been proven to be safe and effective for such a serious issue.

Sorry about that.....