DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

Dear Doctor. Thank you time. My girlfriend was found to have

Dear Doctor. Thank you for your time. My girlfriend was found to have elevated protein levels in her urine during annual check up. Also her microalbumin ratio (think I have this right) was elevated. A kidney specialist performed some further tests and confirmed the proteinurea.
He did not tell her she had CKD but told her that no further treatment was needed but that she should loose weight, control her blood sugar, refrain from alcohol and avoid painkillers. Several years ago she was advised that she was in the pre diabetic range in terms of blood sugar and she takes medication to attempt to combat this.
Im worried about what this might mean for her future health? Is it likely to progress to kidney failure quickly or am I overreacting? Could she have children?
I know I am not giving you all the specific details but I would appreciate your thoughts.
Expert:  DR. EHTISHAM replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for asking

Urinary protein or microalbumin indicate that she has some problem with the kidneys due to which she is leaking proteins in her urin. In her case most likely reason could be an uncontrolled blood glucose level as if persistently high levels for a long time they can effect the kidneys badly. I think your kidney specialist is also thinking about it as a cause so its important that she have her blood sugars controlled and also avoid alcohols and pain killer. Only if the risk factors which have lead to the kidney damage remain unchecked,then there can be further worsening in the kidney.If she control the risk factor she will be fine.

Good luck

Feel free to ask if you have any more question

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. She is making efforts to control the blood sugar etc but it is something that she finds difficult. If she continues to make efforts but still has less than perfect blood sugar etc what do you think the prognosis is? Thank you.

As is mentioned most likely she has a early problem with kidneys and if she minimizes the risk factor she should be fine. But if it continues the same way she is likely to develop CKD .So she needs an aggressive risk factor reduction

Good luck