Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

My pain comes from behind the ribs on right hand side. It

My pain comes from behind the ribs on right hand side. It started as a strong stitch-like pain but three weeks later is a dull bruised feeling. If I press just under the ribs it hurts more than if I leave it alone.
Should I bother the doctor?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Basically any chest pain requires an examination by your doctor. In your case in the absence of other symptoms, this is most likely due to costochondritis. The condition can cause a localized chest pain that can be reproduced by pushing on the cartilage in the front of the ribcage. However before diagnosing this condition other serious conditions need to be ruled out by your doctor. Costochondritis resolves by itself, however in some patients it might last for several weeks or longer. Treatment focuses on relief of pain and you may ask your doctor whether you can take ibuprofen for the pain.

Take care.

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

If you have no further questions, please rate the answer with a positive rating.