Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

What are tests for... Lupus POTS (postural orthostatic

Customer Question

What are tests for...Lupus
POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome)
CIDP (chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy)And are they blood tests
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anyone can help?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

I will respond in a moment.

Typing my answer.

Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

What are tests for...

Lupus

1. ANA
  2. Anti-Ds DNA
  3. Anti-Sm antigen

These are the main types of antibodies that are tested with a blood test.

The main test for this is what is called as a tilt table test. You can google this test to see how it is done.

CIDP (chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy)

This is mainly a clinical diagnosis but there is test called as nerve conduction study that will also aid in the diagnosis of this condition.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.

I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.

Kindest regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the Lupus blood test normal blood test or specific for Lupus?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

The ANA (antinuclear antibody) test is not specific for lupus but is still a screening test for it. This means that a positive test would not mean much and would need further investigations but a negative test would pretty much rule out lupus.

The other blood tests for lupus that I mentioned are very specific for lupus, which means if they are positive, you will almost certainly be having lupus.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You said for CIDP (chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy), it is a clinical diagnosis, what does that mean?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Clinical diagnosis means that this is diagnosed by history and physical examination mainly and aided by nerve conduction studies as well to some extent.