Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I'm looking help. Circa four weeks ago I started with some

Customer Question

Hi there,
I'm looking for some help.
Circa four weeks ago I started with some inguinal lymph node swelling, followed shortly afterwards by my penis swelling significantly and my glans looking red and irritated. I felt generally unwell. I am HIV positive and immediately went to see my GP; my GP prescribed me a canesten oral capsule and combined steroid/anti fungal cream, to no effect. I went to see my GUM doctor who took swabs and a urine sample, and prescribed me doxycycline 100mg, twice a day for fourteen days, after ten days, the swelling had subsided enormously and I got a call to say my tests had come back negative for all STD's but I had tested positive for Steptococcal infection from a penile swab, I was advised to continue with the Doxycycline, unhappy that Doxy wasn't the appropriate antibiotic for Strep I went to see my GP again who said in light of the results I should take Flucloxacillin (500mg, 4/24, 7/52) which I commenced 48 hours ago. It would appear my original swelling symptoms are returning and my nodal swelling is still there. I don't know what to do next and I'm running out of ideas.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

ask the doctors if they ran a sensitivity and resistance panel on the streptococcal infection from the penile swab.

some strep infections can be resistant to certain antibiotics.

the sensitivity and resistance panel can see

is your HIV virus under control with a low viral load? are you getting treatment for your HIV?

I would continue to take the flucloxacillin and see your doctor again if you continue to have penis swelling and inguinal lymph node swelling.

you should also take a probiotic daily while on antibiotics to decrease chances of diarrhea from antibiotics.

let me know if you have questions.