DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to

hello Pearl
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: my question is on Syphilis, VDRL and TPHA Thank you
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i was diagnosed of Syphilis in January this year during my medical examination for marriage. quite worrying for me. In March the doctor treated me with 2.4 iu benzathine penicillin for 3 weeks, one injection each week. still tested positive afterwards. the treatment was repeated for a further 3 weeks in April. tested negative for VDRL but positive for TPHA after the 2nd treatment. i did the test again about a month ago and i tested positive to VDRL. i am currently being treated with 5 injections of 2.4iu benzathine penicillin and have taking 4 injections already. i decided to take a self request test today to confirm whether my status has improved to negative but only to find out that after 4 injections i still test positive. please help me with this condition
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

TPPA will stay positive for live.

VDRL should become negative, but does not always.

Other conditions can give a false positive.

autoimmune diseases, lyme disease, TB, endocarditis, and others. Talk to your doctor along these lines.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure i understand what you mean by autoimmune diseases, lyme disease, endocarditis. what are these please?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

These are different chronic illnesses.

lyme is from a tick bite. Lupus is an autoimmune disease...

TB is turburculosis. It can be chronic and hidden.

And so on.

Please click a positive rating on this page.

The scale is at the top, hopefully excellent.

and I am happy to follow up with you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sure i will certainly give a positive rating Dr. I am also chronic hepatitis b with viral load at 116. could this be a reason why after 3 separate treatment, i'm still testing negative for VDRL? and how can VDRL get negative and shortly after (2 months down the line) change to positive again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i meant still testing positive to VDRL
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

a false positive.

and yes, the hepatitis can be doing it.

I would not keep treating for syph based on lab tests.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Save time here and find me by request daily. I answer fast, completely and accurately.

I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas.