Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

I'm a 54 year old almost post menopausal woman (just hot

Hi I'm a 54 year old almost post menopausal woman (just hot sweats left). My question is why do I hurt so much muscular and skeletal, neck, shoulders, fingers, back, knees and shins. My legs have always been thin even though I'm a big girl but they are getting thinner laughably so. I also get a lot of cramp lately up the front of my legs and fingers. I am an HCA at the hospital so get a fair amount of exercise on my feet. I also have had trouble for about the last 2 years staying asleep 4 hours at the most. GPs answer is its my age at 54 I really feel more like 74.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 12 months ago.

Thanks for your question.

Have you had any tests done for these pains?

If yes what were those tests and what were the results?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No tests gp just puts everything down to my age, just had my usual blood tests (diet controlled diabetic) all within range.

Thanks for the reply.

You need to have certain tests done to rule out any underlying cause of these pains.

These tests should include basic rheumatology profile including inflammatory markers like ES, CRP quantitative, Rheumatoid factor , Uric acid levels and ANA.

You should also have thyroid functions tests done to rule out hypothyroidism.

In addition deficiency of vitamin D and vitamin B12 needs to be ruled out.

You should also have X rays of both knees and lumbar and cervical spine to rule out spondylosis.

Further treatment should be based on the results of these tests.

This is my initial answer.Please reply if you need any clarification.

If done do take a moment to rate my answer as this the only way we get paid for our work here.

Please read ES as ESR.

Thanks for the 5 star rating.