Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

I bit my tongue quite badly on Friday night - a little blood

Customer Question

I bit my tongue quite badly on Friday night - a little blood now and then but not dripping out. It has really swollen up and the whole underside and a bit on top has gone black. Swelling make swallowing anything difficult and painful. Using warm salt water and painkillers.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question.

The wound may have got infected and that may require antibiotics for optimal treatment.

It would be best to get to an urgent care facility and have yourself examined and prescribed antibiotics if needed.

This condition should not be treated at home as increase in swelling can cause difficulty in intake of food as well as medicines.

Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any questions regarding the issue?

If done do take a moment to rate my answer as this is the only way we get paid for our time here.You can always come back to ask if you forgot something.