Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Would be gratful advice please. I am late period by 23 days

hi there would be gratful for some advice please. I am late for my period by 23 days now, with mild cramping during it which always convinced me it was coming. i have had some pregnancy symptoms but nothing strong to convince me for certain. I have also taken pregnancy tests but all negative, i am due to see my GP on Wednesday however would like to know what to expect i also want to avoid being told "just go home until youe next period is due" i map my periods like clockwork on my phone app i am very regular between every 33-35 days. thank you
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

how old are you?

often times with increased stress, increased anxiety, increased physical activity, more exercise, you can miss a period or have a very short or abbreviated period.

mild cramping can be due to ovarian cyst or uterine contractions

I'm glad you are going to see your GP doctor next Wednesday. you should get a gyn exam.

your doctor should check you for infection and do blood tests for pregnancy if you have been sexually active without pregnancy protection. sometimes blood tests can be more accurate than urine pregnancy testing.

if you have cramps, you can ask for a pelvic ultrasound scan to check for ovarian cysts as well.

most likely you will get your next period at the scheduled time

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you kindly.I am 28, married and have been sexually active without protection and around the time of ovulation, however, as all of the pregnancy tests have been negative i'm starting to assume there is something else wrong. i don't know if you would be able to advise but im in the uk would you know roughly the turn around time for these tests and results? if not no worries i am very grateful for your reply.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

it depends on the tests and who draws them

blood tests for pregnancy usually are ready in a few days.

ultrasound exams of the pelvis results are usaully ready in a few days time, but the doctors have to transcribe the reports and have them typed up so paperwork can slow them down.

in the UK, the testing results tends to take longer to get back to the patient than in the USA.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com