Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a hard boney lump under my knee I was just wondering

Hello I have a hard boney lump under my knee I was just wondering what it could be, I do suffer from osteoarthritis & I have had 2 clean out on my left knee this lump is on my right knee know do you think It could be the same sort of thing.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Osteoarthritis or an associated tendinitis certainly can cause bony growth that may be felt as a bony lump. This is a similar process that can be seen on x-rays as bone spurs. The exact location would determine whether it would be from arthritis vs tendinitis.

There are other causes of bony lumps, including healing from prior trauma or other damage to the bone. Rarely, there are also growths of the bone that are possible. But bony growth secondary to an underlying arthritis or tendinitis is the most likely cause of a bony lump near the knee.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know it's unlikely but is their any chance if it being cancer I've never had a problem with my right knee until a few weeks ago

Yes. I noted above that growths of the bone can rarely occur. Some of those growths are benign and some are cancer. Of people that present with a bony lump, it is a very small percentage in whom it is found to be cancer, but yes, it is possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thank you for your help I will make an appointment for my G.P.

You are welcome.