Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a bad sore throat and it has been on and off weeks.

Customer Question

Hello, I have a bad sore throat and it has been on and off for two weeks. This morning I woke up and it got worst, I cannot swallow anything and it feels really hard when I touch my throat. My ears are also tickling. Is there anything I can do to ease the pain?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

There are several interventions that can be done to help ease the pain.

The most commonly used interventions for throat pain are throat lozenges an throat sprays, which include medicine to sooth or numb the throat. It also can help to gargle with warm salt water. Cold foods also can be very soothing, and ice cream is the classic example of a food that is soothing to the throat.

For relief of ear symptoms, it may help to take an antihistamine/decongestant.

It is also fine to take paracetamol for the pain.

At two weeks, it is still most likely that this is due to a viral infection, but if the sore throat persists, it would be appropriate to consider whether there is another condition, such as acid reflux, in which case a medicine to suppress stomach acid would be appropriate.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your answer. I am taking an anesthetic sore throat relief and the day and night nurse pills. Is it normal that there is a swelling on both sides of my throat when I touch it?

Yes. It is common that there is swelling that can affect both sides of the throat when the throat is inflamed, whether it is from an infection or from other conditions that irritate the throat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. So if it is infected I might need antibiotics or it will just go after a while?

A viral throat infection will not clear with antibiotics, but will resolve spontaneously. The symptoms that you describe are not worrisome for a Strep throat, which is the only throat infection that would be treated with antibiotics.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for reassuring me. Have a good day. Elodie

You are most welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Doctor,
My throat still really hurts despite everything you told me to do. I hate some cherries yesterday and now it feels like I have a sore spot on the left side of my tongue and throat. It feels very strange and it still really hurts when I swallow.

Another three days of symptoms does not change the above answer.