Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.
61885400

I take Lithium and think I may have cronic lithium toxicity.

Customer Question

I take Lithium and think I may have cronic lithium toxicity. I have an appointment with my doctor but would like to know what is the treatment for this..should i stop taking Lithium for a while.
Tommy
Expert:  Dr. Gehring replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tommy,

I am Dr.Customerand pleased to help you.

When did you check your lithium blood level for the last time? How was it? Why do you think you might be intoxicated?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr I feel weak, nasceaus, slight headace and tinnitus. I have an appointment with my doc tomorrow
but just wanted a another opinion..thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its about 4-5 months since i checked my levels

Ok, thank you. Symptoms of overdosage are weakness, tremor, difficulty to articulate and renal insufficiency symptoms. Your symptoms might have other reasons. It is dangerous to stop lithium, because the blood levels won't be high enough to treat your symptoms then. I would take it again if your last levels were ok. It is not very likely that you have toxic blood levels now after they had been ok for a long time.

I wish you all the best and thank you for a positive rating of my help!

I gave you the second opinion you wanted, but you didn't rate positively yet. Is anything not quite clear?