DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I'm a 66 year old male, reasonably healthy, not taking any

I'm a 66 year old male, reasonably healthy, not taking any medication, 182 cm tall, weight 92kg. Eat mostly fish/fruit/veg......as my wife is a vegetarian. I eat meat very rarely.
For the last 3 days, I've had (progressively more severe) pain in my lower back & this is coupled with a progressively more severe pain on my right side, apparently deep within the stomach wall. On day one, I had severe diarrhoea, but this has eased, but I still have an almost permanent sensation that I need to defecate (although actions in this area are 'normal').
My wife is convinced that I'm suffering from abdominal aortic aneurysm (from which her father died), but I think my problem is due a change of diet as I spent 5 days at the end of last week with friends when I ate an abnormally large quantity (for me) of fatty meat. If I'm right about this, how does the change of diet provoke the back pain? I don't see the correlation.
Thanks for any thoughts you may have.
best regards, ***** ***** Cheltenham
***@******.***
Expert:  DR. EHTISHAM replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for asking

You are right there is no such relationship between diet and low backache.

Your stomach pain can be due to the dietary irregularity which you had by changing from your routine diet. Backache can have other reason like postural problem, excessive exercise or out of routine activity and there can be some age related changes in the spine which can cause the lower back pain.You might need an antibiotic for your stomach and diarrheal problem.Low backache might need further investigation if it doesn,t get better with Tylenol or some anti-inflammatory in few days time

Good luck

Feel free to ask if you have any more question

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Are you there

Do ask if any more question

if done Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating