Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Is it possible second opinion. From four months old my

Is it possible for a second opinion. From four months old my little girl who is now six months 27 weeks old goes full days without sleeping and will only sleep if she her head is raised or if she is with me.
I was told to stuff her full of food to make her sleepy so at six months we started to wean but she would then be even worse if she had anything such as yoghurt and spend huge chunks being extremely hard to settle as she would just cry despite my efforts to keep her calm.
I asked a doctor if it could be more colic or a food intolerance such as dairy since I breastfeed too and have dairy in my diet. The idea got dismissed immediately and I was told that my little girl simply ha a behaviour problem. That I need to switch to formula and get her use to spending chunks of time apart from me because she is too attached to me since we don't have any family etc that are able to help out.
I wanted to know I this could be true because it just doesn't seem right to me ?
Any response would be a huge help. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

This might be behavioural, however according to a study if no cause is found then milk allergy may be suspected and tested for by your doctor. But you may consult a child psychologist to know whether this is behavioural insomnia.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4069856

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/milk-allergy/basics/definition/con-20032147

Take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If these symptoms of sleeplessness didn't start until 4 month could it still be a milk allergy? After the colic stopped she was a good sleeper until she hit four months old
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Colic may take in some case up to 8 months to stop.

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

When did the colic stop? Which formula are you using?

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Changing to a different type of formula called hydrolysate infant formula (such as Nutramigen 2 with LGG) if your baby is allergic to cow's milk or has a milk intolerance may help.

Take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her colic stopped at ten weeks. We use aptamil formula when we need to but she is primarily breastfed.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Some behavioral changes that may be helpful are:

Children need to be taught how to fall asleep in their cribs or beds and return to sleep during the night with minimal parental intervention.

Graduated extinction is an efficacious method that can be used by parents.

You must place the child into the crib or bed before she is fully asleep to allow your child to develop an association with the surroundings that will be present when she awakens during the night.

If there is nighttime crying, you should only make regular checks on the child while she is crying and gradually increase the time between the checks and thereby decreasing the frequency of checks.

Don't hold or rock the child during the checks, as this will reinforce the crying and the need for your intervention to return to sleep.

This way the child is reassured of your presence, and without any intervention the child will learn self-soothing techniques and often will accept that she is safe, her mother is near, and that she can fall asleep without help from you.

http://www.parentingscience.com/Ferber-method.html

Take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a good article and something to consider for night time. Does the cry it out method work during the day? That's when I'm having most trouble getting her to sleep.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Yes it does. Also the learned behaviour of nighttime sleep will also be seen for the naps. So gradually start this method.

Take care.

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.