Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My permanent retainer (wire running along the back of my

Customer Question

My permanent retainer (wire running along the back of my teeth) feels like it is obstructing my bite, meaning my jaw doesn't go up as fat as it used to because my bottom incisor's path is being obstructed by the retainer behind the top ones. Usually I wouldn't think anything of this but it seems like my tongue now doesn't fit snugly into its place, it creates very little suction onto the roof of my mouth and as a result my jaw doesn't feel firmly in place. I have also notice more bacteria now forms on the surface of my tongue, especially at the back, what should I do?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

There is a problem with occlusion. The retainer might have migrated and displaced from its intended position. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do at home to fix this and you will need to see your Dentist for a more thorough evaluation. The dentist might have to readjust the position of the retainer or give you a new one.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health.