Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have over recent months been suffering from a very sharp

Customer Question

I have over recent months been suffering from a very sharp pain in my back which stops me immediately from working at home on my farm. After taking ibrupofen an hour later the pain starts to disappear. The pain is severe to the point where I find it difficult to breath easily. This has more recently occurred during the night and it upsets my wife and family.
I do have high blood pressure of around 180 for which I take 3 tablets daily and still overweight at 16.5 stones being 10 feet 11inches high. My wife has me back on a strict diet with no sugar or carbohydrates and keeps threatening me with calls to the doctor.
I hate going to the doctor as each time I go I feel okay and hate wasting peoples time and I was just wondering whether I am a stress sufferer as I seem to continually get stressed where I seem to get irate at anything. Any help would or advice would be appreciated
Joe
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JA

It is not stress.

It is possibly a muscular or spinal disc problem .

It must have an exam.

With the high blood pressure, it can be heart pain radiating to the back.

That is not likely but serious.

Other organ pain can radiate to the back.

See your doctor.

Do this now.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this question

This is not a cardiac issue because the pain wouldn't get better with ibuprofen

This is a musculoskeletal problem

I would recommend you see a physio or chiropractor.

They can help you work through it