Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have had a chronic sore throat on and off for nearly a

I have had a chronic sore throat on and off for nearly a year now which has got worse and more consistent over time. I have also had issues with my tonsils getting inflamed and catching tonsillitis. I am due to have my tonsils out in a matter of weeks. I have seen an ENT twice who just looked st my throat with a torch. No proper inspection but she noticed my throat is red but didn't seem concerned. This is effecting my whole life as my throat also feels incredibly dry even though I drink plenty of water. Why do you think this is? Should I see a different ENT.

Thanks for this question Sarah

I'm sorry you are suffering with this

1)see a different ENT. You need a proper inspection

2)common causes of this problem are chronic sinus drainage and acid reflux. Do you have either?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I be concerned it may be something serious? I was quite disappointed as I spent 120 to see the ENT and all she did was look at it with a torch.

No, it is not very serious like cancer or anything like that

I'm sure of that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ENT said an audiology isn't needed. And said see how it goes after tonsils are out. Is this good advice?

yes, this is good advice