DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I'm a little concerned about my heart beat. I tend to get

Hi there, I'm a little concerned about my heart beat. I tend to get heart palpitations which have worsened lately (I have just had a baby 2 months ago) and noticed that my heart rhythm is strange in that it slows down and quickens, it's not an even pace. Does this mean anything significant?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 12 months ago.

Welcome to JA.

I am a double board certified clinical doctor and can help you with this.

It can mean something.

You need

EKG

24 hour holter monitor to see if you have a rhythm problem, if it does not show on the EKG.

Slowing down and quikening per se is usually normal.

This even happens taking a breath in and out.

Palpatations are more like skipped beats, pauses and racing heart.

But I still recommend that you be safe and get the exam.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for the quick response. I spoke to my GP about this and she said she would refer me to get an ekg that they would do for 10 mins. Is this enough time to pick something up? Does tiredness affect palpitations? I'm only getting 4-5hrs sleep a night because of new baby

24 hours on a monitor you wear is better.

If it is benign palpitations, any stress can make it worse.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/