Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

I am experiencing severe groin and thigh pain and also

I am experiencing severe groin and thigh pain and also excruciating back pain in the mornings. The pain is so severe that I cannot cross my legs comfortably.
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for your question.

Are you taking any treatment for these symptoms at present?

Do you have osteoarthritis of the hip as well?

Have you had x rays of lower back as well?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have recently seen my doctor and Gabapentin was prescribed. This seemed to do the trick the first night, and I was over the moon but the second morning, it was back to square 1.(excuse the pun)
I haven't had a hip xray, but this is obviously a possibility. My GP has asked that I try this medication for two weeks then if not successful will send me for an xray of my back. I have experienced sciatica in the past and the pain in my back is very similar to this but once up and about subsides, unlike sciatica.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I also get pains down my shins and have to rub them for relief and at present have some pain in my left buttock, rubbing the area brings some relief.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you still there?

Yes I am very much here.The page did not get updated by itself.

I will answer in few minutes.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I prefer live chat

Thanks for waiting.

Groin pain is usually due to pathology in the hip joint while pain buttock is more likely related to sciatica.

Let me complete my initial answer and then we chat.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the excruciating back pain in the mornings, what do you think is causing that? Is Gabapentin a good medication for this type of problem as I am also on Naproxen 250 mgs three times a day.

Gabapentin is preferred for sciatica type pain.It is not an ideal drug for osteoarthritis pain.

It is possible that your pain has a contribution from both the hip as well as lower spine.

You need to have x rays of the hip as ell as that of lumbar spine to look at possible osteoarthritis of the hip as well as spondylosis of the lumbar spine.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
why is this only happening overnight and not through the day also?

In fact startup pain i.e. pin wile getting up from bed in the morning is typical of OA .

Pain due to OA typically improves after you have started moving the painful joint.

Have they done vitamin d and calcium levels also?If not you should have these tested as well.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you Dr Amita, that's what I thought also, the groin and thigh pain were worrying me.
I'm also being investigated for hyperparathyroidism due to my rise of calcium over the last 12 months. I am currently on Vit D.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
awaiting a scan and possible surgery.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
do you think this is related?

Yes , if calcium has been rising parathyroid should be tested.

This may be related.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Finally, what type of exercise do you think I can engage in. as I am conscious that I am beginning to gain weight?

I mean the pains.

Cycling is an excellent exercise for arthritic joints.Start at your own pace with resistance set at low to begin with.

You may also consider swimming as that puts less stress on the joints because of decreased gravity.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thank you and bye

Thanks and best of luck.