Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am experiencing mood swings, tiredness, irritability,

I am experiencing mood swings, tiredness, irritability, depression and i'm tired all the time, also a loss of sex drive. Could this be a hormone imbalance
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, it is possible that this could be due to a hormone imbalance.

The symptoms that you describe are common symptoms that are associated with clinical depression. However, it is possible that certain hormone conditions can cause similar symptoms. The primary hormone conditions that can mimic depression and the associated conditions are thyroid disease or adrenal disease, and the former is much more common.

Some of these symptoms also can be related to menopause, although the timing of onset of symptoms to when menstrual cycles stopped also will usually provide clues to menopausal symptoms.

In addition to the timing of symptoms, blood tests can help to diagnose these hormonal conditions.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.