Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I keep getting headaches when I'm stressed and usually when

I keep getting headaches when I'm stressed and usually when it's hot or muggy
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you describe the headache in more detail?

Where are they located in the head?

How long do they last?

Are you having any associated symptoms when you have the headaches?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They start off as a mild numbing pain and gradually gets worse to a point where it becomes a throbbing pain and it's always above my left eye no associated symptoms apart from feeling irritable and depressed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they can last up to 48 hours

Thank you for the additional information.

Stress can make almost every headache syndrome worse, so the details about the headache and the associated symptoms help to clarify the type of headache syndrome.

This sounds most likely to be muscle contraction headaches. Muscle contraction headaches are the most common type of recurrent headaches and are frequently worse with stress. In fact, these headaches are historically referred to as tension headaches, although the current preferred term is muscle contraction headaches.

There is no treatment that will permanently eliminate muscle contraction headaches. However, there are several options for treatment of muscle contraction headaches. When the headaches are infrequent, then the usual approach would be various medicines to help ease the pain. Any of the over the counter pain medicine are fine to take, but the anti-inflammatory medicines, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, are usually more effective. It also may help to perform massage or ice massage over the area of pain. If these interventions are not sufficient to ease the pain, then there are many other medicines available by prescription, although it would be necessary to see your doctor.

When someone is having more frequent headaches, then there are also several treatments that can help to prevent the headaches. The most commonly used are certain antidepressants, such as amitriptyline or duloxetine. Muscle relaxers, such as Flexeril, also may be useful Any intervention that helps to ease stress can also help prevent the headaches, such as getting regular exercise, yoga, self-relaxation techniques, etc.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Over the counter medicines don't work.and I did go and see my doctor a while back and he prescribed me propranolol to try which also doesn't work. And I get a pain in my shoulders from time to time where it hurts when I turn my head from side to side.

Propranolol can help ease some stress symptoms, but I usually find that one of the antidepressants noted above is more effective, so it would be reasonable to discuss one of these medicines with your doctor.