DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am 81 and have very thin, ridged finger nails and when

I am 81 and have very thin , ridged finger nails and when they split it is downwards - is there anything I can do to improve this problem? Or is it just old age?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are there any products online which may help my finger nail problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

How are you?

Thanks for coming.

Please attach a picture here

There are no specific products in general, but, I need to see what you are talking about.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already paid £36.00 on my VISA card for the answer - is the £21.00 ALSO payable?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

I don't handle any of those issues.

I simply answer questions.

I did send you an offer to to integrative medicine as well, you either accept that or do not.

Can, you attach a picture here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry I do not understand as I am 81 and cannot take a picture of my nails.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

are these vertical ridges?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

In general, vertical ridges are from ageing and are normal.

Thin fingernails as well, although there can be nutrient issues.

If splitting at all, iron deficiency is a common problem.

This is also a problem of ageing along with vitamin D and B vitamins.

These should all be measured along with examination of the nails.

In this instance, supplementation might help.

Of course, vitamins are over the counter, but it is better to have the lab measurements done.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions.

Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your help - do you suggest I ask my own Doctor or just visit the Chemist?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

I suggest you use your doctor so he/she can follow you and do any other needed testing.

Please don't forget a rating on the rating scale [I hope a 5] as this is how we get paid by just answer.

Find me anytime.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
certainly a 5 in my book. Thanks again. Have a nice day.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Thanks!

I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas.