Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Would Internal bleeding in the gut result in dark stools?

Customer Question

Would
Internal bleeding in the gut result in dark stools ?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome.

YES, internal bleeding in the upper gut specially from stomach cause dark stools called malena.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
I'm
Concerned re my mother .shes 67 and had a general blood test as she has high blood pressure and takes asprin and bp tablets. The bp seems to be under control.Hemaglobin was 10.6 and ferritin very low at 8. In 2013 her hemaglobin was 11.5.Her heart rate at the gp practice was also 132.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for reply.

According to these blood tests she seems to have iron deficiency anemia that is why her hemoglobin is low and she needs iron supplements. And iron supplements also results in dark stools if she is already taking them.

Wish you good health.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As she's 67 and has iron defficiency can this mean internal bleefing ? I'm concerned as my dad was anemic as ha colon cancer detected .She was 11.6 in 2013.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for reply.

Yes internal bleeding can be a cause so you should get her urine and stool routine examination to check any bleeding.

Wish you good health.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could these readings indicate bowel or stomach cancet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not had a reply ?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

bowel or stomach cancer can not be diagnosed by these readings. CT scan is to be done for tha

Wish you good health

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok but is it worrying that ferritin is only 8 and hemaglobin also low at 10.6?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is so she needs full evaluation for exact diagnosis.

Please rate the answer positively or accept additional services offer for further conversation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Diet alone can't cause this right ?