Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

What's the main differences between these conditions.

What's the main differences between these conditions.Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy (CIDP)
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE)
Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS)
Polyneuropathy
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 10 months ago.

Dear customer,

There are many differences with respect to the cause, the mechanism of development of disease, the clinical features, and the treatment. What are you looking for?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The mechanism of development of disease, the clinical features

Dear customer,

All the three CIDP, SLE, and GBS are immunologic mediated diseases. In most cases abnormal antibodies are produced that cross-react with normal tissues in the body. In GBS the target is peripheral nerves. CIDP can be considered as the chronic equivalent of Guillain-Barré syndrome. SLE most involves the skin, joints, kidneys, blood cells, and nervous system

Due to these abnormal immunologic actions there is development of disease and clinical features.

In GBS there is muscle weakness with weakness involving the lower limbs initially before progression of weakness to the upper limbs. Also there is numbness and abnormal sensations. CIDP is similar to GBS clinical features but this is chronic with periods of worsening and improvement usually last weeks or months.

In SLE clinical features due to involvement of most of the organ systems can be present along with fever.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can you tell me the tests for them

Dear customer,

Testing is done to know the abnormal antibodies by doing assays for antibodies. However diagnosis is suspected based on the clinical features and the physical examination. Electromyography (EMG) and nerve conduction studies (NCS) may be done. Lumbar puncture with examination of CSF may also be considered. Sometimes biopsy of muscle or nerve may be done.

Take care.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are they all Polyneuropathy conditions?

Yes they are.

Take care.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How long will someone have suffered for to get a diagnosis of those conditions?

Dear customer,

In all of these conditions symptoms occur that make most patients to consult a doctor after few days to weeks.

Take care.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I mean how long does someone need to have the condition for, you said CIDP is the chronic form of GBS, so how long does someone have to have GBS and how long does someone have to have CIDP and then how long does someone have to have SLE for?

Dear customer,

They may have these conditions life long. There is no cure and these are chronic conditions. And sometimes even in GBS there are complications and sequela which last life long.

Take care.

Please don't forget to rate the answer with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How can you tell the difference between them, how do you know which condition it is, GBS, CIDP, or SLE?

Dear customer,

This requires a good past history of the symptoms and then physical examination needs to be done to know which muscles, which nerves, and which organs are involved. Then based on laboratory investigations diagnosis is done. Sometimes response to treatment also helps in diagnosis.

Take care.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is the GBS and CIDP test the same?

Dear customer,

Yes they are the same.

Take care.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What is the test called?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
tests

Dear customer,

There is not a single test but multiple tests that need to be done which I have mentioned in my earlier answer.

Take care.

Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience: Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.