Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I attended my local MIU yesterday for a cat bite to my

I attended my local MIU yesterday for a nasty cat bite to my middle finger left hand. They cleaned the wound and gave me co-amoxyclav antibiotics (3 days worth) but didn't want to do much else because I'm 23 weeks in to a high risk pregnancy. However today the finger is totally swollen and looks like It wants to burst, swelling is now extended to all knuckles on that hand and creeping further. There is pus trying to escape the wounds. I have removed dressing and bathed wounds myself (vet nurse hence the bite wound) however the pain and swelling is getting worse and I'm worried about tracking cellulitis. Do you think I need to attend A&E today just in case?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Yes I strongly advice you to go to the A&E as soon as possible. This needs to be seen by a surgeon. Debridement along with incision and drainage may be required. Also they may consult with the hand surgery service if deep infection, such as involving the tendon sheath or other structures, is suspected. Treatment as soon as possible will prevent further spread of infection and loss of tissue. This is especially so in view of your high risk pregnancy.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating.