DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have had problems with a sore throat, slurred speech and

I have had problems with a sore throat, slurred speech and swallowing for about 8 months. My GP referred me to an ENT specialist who said I had Silent Reflux and discharged me with an instruction sheet. A few weeks later when there was no change I asked for a second opinion and was sent to another ENT specialist who said it was NOT Silent Reflux but could be a degenerative disease and that I needed to see a neurologist. I have now seen a neurologist and have had extensive tests done and am waiting for the results which is very scary. My question is, my symptoms have got no worse in all this time and are better on some days than others. The speech is worse when I'm tired but I have noticed I have white lesions/lines in the very back of my throat. At no time did anyone take a swab to try to determine the reason for the sore throat. They have focused on the slurred speech even though I have said I think it's related to the sore throat which makes me compensate to reduce the discomfort. Will the blood tests show up if there's an infection in the throat? Do you think this could be the cause of the slurred speech?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

I am a double board certified clinical doctor and can help you with this.

An infection would not be chronic as you describe this.

I don't think it is infection.

Reflux is definitely a possibility, and there is no way to rule that out entirely unless you see a GI doctor and have Ph monitoring of the esophagus.

ENT is not in a position to exclude reflux.

That is why you had conflicting opinions.

It can be neurological, for example, myastehnia graves, MS, and others, but these are quite rare, and you really don't have the symptom picture.

I think that will be ruled out....degenerative disease.

I suggest that after your testing, if there are no findings, that you see a gastroenterologist.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. I have been in absolute turmoil that I have ALS and have had all the tests for that which am waiting for. But as you know, diagnosis is by ruling other possibilities out - it is the slurred speech that makes them concerned - they don't think this would cause reflux but I have read that it can. I have also had some non-connections on EMG in leg and hand but no problems with tongue to suggest Bulbar. They do not think the EMG is conclusive at all but because of that suggested further tests. I am fit and cycle for miles a day. Not overweight, etc. Have been in complete panic. I have ulcers and am on medication for that anyway. This has probably given me a few more!!
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Yes, but it is better to get definitive testing.

I doubt ALS. The classic weakness and other problems are not there.

Good luck.

See my premium services offer.

Come back and let me know how it goes.

I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas.