Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Is it a requirement fur a woman over 65 who presents with

Is it a requirement fur a woman over 65 who presents with anemia to be investigated ? Ie have a colonoscopy and endoscopy ?I'm
Just concerned as my mothers furst blood work showed low hemaglobin and ferritin and she's been referred without even trying iron medication .

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Yes it is recommended that the cause of anemia be investigated, therefore your doctor has ordered these investigations. Please have them done. However ask your doctor about whether before colonoscopy other tests can be done such as fecal occult blood test (FOBT) and fecal immunochemical test (FIT), which are lab tests used to check stool samples for hidden (occult) blood.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see . I thought they would only do these on suspicion of malignancy ?I was a little surprised that In the first instance they ordered these.

Dear customer,

These investigations are done to find out the underlying cause for anemia, which can be bleeding ulcers in the gastrointestinal tract and these may not be malignant.

Take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can diet cause iron defficiency anemia ?

Dear customer,

Yes it can and this is one of the most common cause.

Take care.

Please don't forget to rate the answer with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But even if in the past her diet has been same and she's never had iron defficiency ?Is there any reason why ferritin is very low at 8 but hemaglobin moderate ?

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

That is the reason that iron deficiency is not being suspected by her doctor and other causes for loss of iron are being looked for. Both ferritin and hemoglobin are moderately decreased.

Take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it bad that both are low ? So if hemaglobin alone was low then that's not bad right ?Can diet cause both to be low ?

Dear customer,

Even if hemoglobin is low, it is a cause for concern and further investigations. Dietary deficiency also can cause both to be low.

Take care.