Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Okay, so I had an ingrown toenail and i had it sorted out.

Customer Question

The pain got better and then after a few days came back, the corner of my toe where the ingrown toenail was is now constantly sore and very sensitive, the skin is all hard and i have to clean puss out a lot, it's a bit swollen and just horribly uncomfortable !
Anything would be helpful !
Thank you !!
-Andrew
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

What treatment was performed when the ingrown toenail was first a problem?

How long ago was that done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was 3 weeks ago, the section of the toenail that was ingrown was removed

Thank you for the additional information.

There are several options for management at this point. Home management is primarily interventions to try to decrease the swelling, by soaking in very warm water for 15-20 minutes three times daily. There also are some interventions to try to control the infection and pus. You add some Betadine (povidone-iodine solution) to the water. It also would be appropriate to apply an over the counter topical antibiotic. If the infection is more severe, it may need a course of oral antibiotics, although that would require a prescription from your doctor.

Ultimately, it is also necessary to either try to get the nail to grow beyond the skin to which it is ingrown or perform a more extensive removal of the nail. At home, the best that you can do would be to try to lift the nail edge so that it may grow past the skin, particularly in combination with the interventions to control the swelling. You can try to lift the edge using a small cotton ball that can hold the nail edge above the skin while it grows. If this is not effective, then removal of a larger portion of the nail would be appropriate. For the ingrown nail to have recurred within 3 weeks, your doctor must have only removed a small amount of the nail. Removing a larger amount of the nail or even the entire nail may be more effective since it recurred so quickly.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.