Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I used an air compressed gun at 80psi, i blew myself down

Customer Question

i used an air compressed gun at 80psi, i blew myself down not knowing the dangers, its been a few hours, how will i know if an air bubble has gone through
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
There is no air bubble that has gone through. It does not go through your skin. You are safe.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
air can pass through the skin and form into an air bubble, ive been using the compressed air gun to blow off any dirt for the last 2 months. Would i be showing symptoms by now?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

Air cannot pass through the skin and form a bubble. You cannot harm yourself by blowing dirt off your skin in any way. Air bubbles in the circulation that form for example from mistakes in Intravenous infusion can be deadly but this occurs immediately.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Compressed air at high pressure can pierce the skin and enter the bloodstream, are you even a doctor?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Would you like me to help you out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your response.

To answer your questions whether it would have shown any symptoms by now, almost certainly it would have shown symptoms. If there was any significant air in your circulation you would be profoundly short of breath immediately.

Considering that you are typing and are not having any symptoms, I would not worry whatsoever.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end and then submitting your rating as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but if the air formed into an air bubble in the bloodstream would you show symptoms straight away or would you not know until it hit your heart or brain? How long would it take to circulate to the heart or brain?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

It would show up straight away in a matter of seconds or minutes.

If there are no symptoms, I would not worry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you, ***** ***** educate your colleague who thinks compressed air can not pierce the skin
thank you for your time
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

:) You are most welcome.

I will try and do that.

Kindest regards