Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have had Lapidus Bunionectomy surgery to my left foot

I have had Lapidus Bunionectomy surgery to my left foot which has failed warranting revision surgery.
The initial surgery was fixed internally by 2 memory staples. I was not put in any protective cast. I was non weight bearing for the first two weeks. I was allowed to heel weight bear in a wooden based shoe from weeks 2-6. At 6 weeks i developed a painful stitch abscess which required antibiotics but was allowed to full weight bear fro then on. I am 51, not overweight and do not smoke. It has been suggested to me that the reason the surgery failed was my failure to follow the weight bearing instructions which I am 100% sure that I did.
Is it my fault the surgery failed?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr David

no, it is not your fault the surgery site got infected

infection and abscess is a risk for surgery.

the foot is a hard place to keep clean.

there is a lot of bacteria on the skin and floor and during the summer infection in the foot is common after surgery.

it was the infection and abscess which caused the problem, not your failure to follow instructions of weight bearing or not.

clean socks and clean floors are needed to prevent foot infections.

it can be hard to clean after surgery.

I hope the infection is better now.

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you tell me if 1st ray instability would show up on an x-ray and what does slight lateral subluxation mean?
Many thanks,
Alison
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

yes, first ray instability would show up on an xray of the foot and toes.

slight lateral subluxation means a slight misalignment of the bones towards the side

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com