DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Please can you interpret and give me detailed

Hi, please can you interpret and give me detailed feedback/suggestions on my test results from my male hormone check?
Here are the results:
• D.H.E.A. SULPHATE - 11.700 umol/L from a suggested Range of 0.440 - 13.400.
• FOLLICLE STIM. HORMONE - 1.51 IU/L from a suggested Range of 1.500 - 12.400. (Although just in normal rage it seems really low and I understand low levels can indicate that I am not producing sperm)
• FREE ANDROGEN INDEX - 48.6 Ratio from a suggested Range of 24.000 - 104.000
• LUTEINISING HORMONE - 7.28 IU/L from a suggested Range of 1.700 - 8.600. (This seems too close the high end and I understand that raised LH can signal that the testes are not producing enough testosterone).
• SEX HORMONE BINDING GLOB - 39.03 nmol/L from a suggested Range of 16.00 - 55.00. (I'm inclined to think this should be closer to the lower range than upper?).
• TESTOSTERONE - 18.97 nmol/L from a suggested Range of 7.600 - 31.400. (This result really concerns me. I am 23 year old male and surely my levels should be north of 22 nmol/L. I would be satisfied with 22-24 nmol/L, happy with 25-27nmol/L and very pleased with anything above. I understand that normal range begins at 7.600 and ends at 31.400 but surely this range is not set to optimum levels as it comes from a cross section of men aged 20 to 80; many of whom may be sick or diseased, from a lifetime of unhealthy habits. Surely i'm not at my optimum level with 18.97 nmol/L?
Here are my vital statistics:
• Gender - Male
• Age - 23
• Height - 178cm
• Weight - 148 pounds
• No obvious health concerns
The blood test was taken after a 6-7 hours sleep and around 8am in the morning without eating prior and sent to the lab for next day results. I aim to have another test taken in a week or so as I understand it would be wise to do so.
The test states that I am within a 'normal' range for all levels/results, however I would like to understand the results better, know if I should be improving levels, and find out what my optimum/ideal levels (based on my vital statistics) should be.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Many thanks,
Ben
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I would also like to add that my FREE ANDROGEN INDEX is clearly on the low side. I presume I am correct in saying that FREE ANDROGEN INDEX is the same as FREE TESTOSTERONE which would mean mine is at 10.6 ng/dL = 1.93% based on TESTOSTERONE and SEX HORMONE BINDING GLOB.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 7 months ago.

Hello.

Thanks for the question.

I will be happy to help you as I am an expert in this area.

Everything is in the normal range.

An androgen index is not the same as free testosterone.

Yours is perfectly normal.

The index reflect that you are binding testosterone to SHBG.

You don't have a complete hormone study here

You also need

free testosterone

bioavailable testosterone

thyroid studies

andrenal panel

Otherwise your test are normal.

I suggest you meet with an up to date endocrinologist.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Dr. Thomas, I was looking for a more detailed response and suggestions. I know everything is normal, but normal is not always what it really should be. What is good? What levels optimal should I be aiming for? Is there anything I should be improving on?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
does the binding of testosterone to SHBG mean it is unable to bind to receptors? My main reason for getting the test done in the first place was because of weakish facial hair and fatigue.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 7 months ago.

Your binding is perfect.

Please read my answer again. It is quite detailed.

There is no such thing as "where you should be in the range".

If you will notice, I suggested that you need a bioavailable testosterone as well as a free testosterone.

This will allow a range judgement that you do not have.

That was just one of my suggestions.

The other was that you need thyroid studies and an adrenal panel.

Only that amount of testing gives a clear view of testosterone.

See my premium services offer. Accept that and I will go beyond conventional medicine into how this is handled outside of those circles.

Or, if you don't want to do that, just click a positive rating here [5 hopefully] and I will be glad to follow up[.

DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.