Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have a 7 weeks old babygirl who was born 6 weeks

Customer Question

Good day, I have a 7 weeks old babygirl who was born 6 weeks prematurely. She did not have any problems until about 20 days ago. But then she started throwing up her milk, having a lot of gas and has pooped only once (soft poop and a lot) in 18 days and only after we gave her a herbal laxative. I cannot put her flat as she gags and throws up milk even 2-3 hrs after feed. She also gets very bad stomach pain after every feed.
I have gone off dairy, gluten and nuts in my own diet and this seems to have reduced her stomach gas, but her gagging and throwing up is no better. I hold her up vertically for 2-3 hrs after each feed and burp her but even then when I try to put her flat (on her tummy or back) she manages to gag and throw up, sometimes with a burp but mostly without.
Also, she squeezes really hard but she only gets farts out. Before we gave her the laxative she was in so much pain she was constantly screaming and squirming arching her back and kicking and punching uncontrollably with such power she could stand upright on her own.
Her doctor says it is normal but I don't understand how a baby who pooped on a daily basis and had no problem holding her food down for the first month would suddenly start having so many problems. I know babies can develop reflux but merely 30 minutes of holding the baby upright usually fixes that problem. So I am not sure that is the case with mine.
Can you help me please? What can be wrong with my baby?
Shima
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome.

The symptoms you described do not sound normal. She has somewhat obstruction in her gut which is not letting her feed go through and causing all that gas , cramps and vomits. One probability is volvulus ( rotation of gut causing obstruction) or congenital problems in intestine. She needs a thorough physical examination by a specialist pediatrician. I would suggest you to get her ultrasound and x-ray abdomen to rule out any obstruction. So take her to a good pediatrician so that any obstruction can be ruled out. Try to give her mothers milk and in small quantities at a time. You can increase the frequency of feeding.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her doctor is a pedidiatrician. He says it is normal. I thought one symptom of volvulus is green colour vomit. Is this not so? She has no green colour vomit. Only white milk in liquid or yogurt texture.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply.

Volvulus is just one of the possibilities I mentioned. You are right, green colored vomitus is a symptom of volvulus. Sometimes, all these symptoms can be attributed her being born prematurely but the degree of the symptoms you mention, sounds severe.

The problem here is the risk of aspiration (inhaling her vomitus), which can cause very severe chest infections. So, the need to do something about her vomiting and her abdominal symptoms is crucial. If the symptoms are as constant and severe as you mention, then she needs to be seen again.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Wish you good health.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

.