Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

I am from greece and i have been leaving in uk for the last

Customer Question

My name is Christina.
i am from greece and i have been leaving in uk for the last 5 years. i now have a permanent post it in the nhs as a consultant radiologist. My brother, 39 years old, was recently diagnosed with testicular ca. I wanted to ask if he could be covered by nhs for the cost of his chemotherapies as he is a first degree relative.
kind regards
christina
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am not sure what you mean. Do you need my mobile number? 00447787807503
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry 00447787806503
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

No The NHS is a residency based care system. It can cover dependents but not relatives. Your brother can get an EHIC card and be eligible for care in the UK if he comes to visit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My brother has that card' Does that mean he can have his treatment in Scotland where i live?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

Here is a link that explains some of it

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1073.aspx?categoryid=68&subcategoryid=159

He can have treatment for a chronic or preexisting illness but cannot come to scotland just to start the treatment. He can have treatment as a visitor on a trip also.