Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Been diagnosed with whooping cough, viral chest infection

Customer Question

been diagnosed with whooping cough, viral chest infection and laryngitis weds this week, doc came friday said if feel worse call NHS helpline, how can I as I have lost my voice please help am male 70 yrs old on my own gave me clarithromycin for whoopjng cough thats all, never felt as bad as this can hardly drink fluids now pain in throat too severe
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I am sorry you feel worse and have lost your voice.

you could be having some severe swelling of your throat

with severe viral or bacterial infections, you can have severe pharyngitis infection of your throat which can make it very painful to swallow and speak.

are you able to drink hot tea with lemon and honey? that could help.

you should buy some over the counter Cepacol throat numbing sprays which you can buy at the drug store which can help numb up your throat.

you can also try sucking on throat lozenges which can help

you can also go back to the hospital or A&E department and have a doctor look in your throat and take a throat swab culture to check for strep throat and throat infections as well

gargling with salt water could help

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doctor,Replying on behalf of my dad ,unfortunately was taken into hospital on Sunday night with shortness of breath and heart beating too fast. My dad once he is better and gets out of hospital will no doubt get in touch with you.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

thanks for the follow up.

I hope your dad gets better

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com