Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Dear Doctor I am 65,male In June I stayed 4 weeks in

Dear Doctor
I am 65,male
In June I stayed 4 weeks in hospital because of a very rapidly developed sepsis caused by beta haemolytic Streptococcus which caused large wounds on my left leg
First days I was in critical condition.
I have insulin dependent diabetes type 2 treated by insulin ( Levemir)
I was treated in the hospital with a combination of Penicillin and Cyprofloxacin iv and my wounds healed within 4 weeks. I also have received a 2 month treatment with antifungal antibiotic as the doctors thought Streptococcus entered my leg through toes affected by fungal infection.
In 2014 and in January 2015 I had several episodes of uroinfection with high temperature pain and frequent urination. It was mostly E coli quite sensitive to antibiotics, especially to Cephalosporines ( Cefalexin ,Cefuroxime Cefpodoxin).And it was treated with these antibiotics.I have a moderate enlargement of prostate,PSA abt 6 and free PSA abt 2.I am taking Finasterine 5 mg.
My foot is still little swollen ,I can not put the full body weight on my leg, but I can move around in the apartment and am using a mobility scooter for driving outside.
Yesterday I had probably little bit frequent urination and today I got a fever 37,9 ( which is quite high for me) and feel bit chill and fevering.
I have also heart insufficiency with atrial fibrillation and taking 20 mg of Lasix a day.
As far as it is Saturday it is difficult for me to get in touch with my hospital doctor or GP and I decided to start taking Zinnat ( Cefuroxime) 250 mg x2 and took just one tablet.
Of course I am very much afraid if the situation with sepsis will repeat.
I do not have cough or any other symptoms of cold.
Do you think the dosage of antibiotic is sufficient?
Awaiting your advice.
M
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

This is Dr. David

it sounds like you might be worried about a urinary tract infection if you were urinating a bit more frequently with a bit of fever.

you really should see a doctor at the hospital or urgent care center and get a urine test to check for urinary tract infection.

they can do a urinalysis and urine culture to check for infection.

this is better to know before you start to take antibiotics so you know what is the correct antibiotic to use for your infection.

you may not have a bladder urinary tract infection.

i know you are scared of sepsis and infection because you have had bad infection in the past.

you can also buy home urine test kits like Atlas Urinary Tract Test where you can test your urine at home and see if you have a bacterial infection

if you do have a bacterial infection, you would still need to see your doctor for prescription for antibiotics.

let me know if you have questions.

let me know if you would like me to call you in the UK.