DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

A relative (M, 77) has been suffering from crippling stomach

A relative (M, 77) has been suffering from crippling stomach pain and weight loss for some months after a separate heart problem resulted in additional stents being inserted. After two separate visits to A&E and brief hospital stays, the gastro specialist is currently saying that this must be due to scar tissue from a Chrohns related operation 20 years ago. They have tried Xrays and CT scans but can't see anything. And they have now said that he should simply take pain relief (including liquid morphine) to control the pain and, basically, hope it sorts itself out. However the pain continues, albeit numbed, and despite eating well, no weight goes on. And previously the Chrohns has been under control for the 20 years with medication. Can anyone suggest a way forward?
Expert:  DR. EHTISHAM replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for asking

Sorry to hear about your relative's problem

It is quite possible that he has this problem due to his previous surgery as adhesions or scar tissue can cause such pain years after surgery. If the CT scan is normal then there are two ways to approach this. One is just to give pain relief medicines and the other is to go for further investigations like a laparoscopic examination of abdomen and also an upper GI endoscopy. This will further clear the exact source of pain.

Good luck

Feel free to ask if you have any more question

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Good luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I understand this from the 'pain' perspective, but what is your view on the substantial weight loss?

Well that too need to be addressed and a possibility of malabsorption should be ruled out as well which can occur with long standing Crohn disease

Good luck

Good luck

Are you there ?

Do ask if any more question

If done Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I thought I had posted another question. Specifically, how would you approach the malabsorption? And fundamentally I suppose how can we get the NHS to take this seriously?
To test for malabsorption you will need blood tests including serum protein and albumin,prothrombin time,serum calcium and alkaline phosphatase etc. You can get these through your physician and then get appointment with another gastroenterologist.Feel free to ask if any more question
Please leave a POSITIVE RATING so as to compensate me for my work.